Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Who Defines Classiness?

Diana Ross’ comments while receiving the BET Lifetime Achievement Award about being classy are timely and important but I am concerned about what outside forces compromising the art form. Yes, I have never sagged my pants, called myself a nigger, or acted immature but we, the rap crowd has to make the decision not someone else. Also I feel that Al Sharpton’s comments about the marketplace are ill-fitted because there are many positive forces such as Kanye and Common who will be coming out with albums. We must control our communities’ dialog! Furthermore, class is relative because how can you hail from the projects and spent time incarcerated exude upper-middle class sensibilities? I am a member of an upper-class invitation-only organization and it would never have thought to invite her to attend our annual convention. Finally, it is no mistake that the black scholarship fund honored Aretha instead of Diana Ross because Aretha's father graduated from LeMoyne College, an HBCU, while Diana was raised in the notorious Brewster Projects!

No comments: