Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Opportunity Journal Entry #9: Moving On Up

I have been approved for my apartment! I am so happy because the search is over (although I am still looking at other apartments within the Friendship Heights area for price comparison purposes.). The rent is only $15 more than my current residence plus I do not have to spend any transportation money and can walk to the grocery store. That's cost savings. The lower rent allows me to afford furniture, a return trip to Cleveland, and my NBMBAA conference. I must admit that sitting in the apartment manager's office completing the paperwork without fear of my denied because of bad credit is liberating!

Now for some not so great news: Dropping out of mathematical methods for economists this summer, the AU course conflicts with UDC's calculus II and III meaning that this would have to wait until Spring 2008. Normally, this would have been disappointing, however, this presented another opportunity to take my time with calculus I and take calculus II at USDA since my Wednesdays are free. Also, it will allow me to save money which is my goal and I am still in contention of applying for a doctoral program just in case I exhaust all options here at AU.

Reading Educational Pathways magazine has inspired me to soar higher and not to waste time. Though I have always placed an extremely high premium on education (It's the reason why I am an economist today.), the articles highlighting black firsts in education motivated me to continue my educational pursuit with vigor! Now I have set some new achievement goals:

Complete AU by next year
Complete calculus III by first summer session
Complete my master's thesis (That's why I am in the MA program)
Retain my Omicron Delta Epsilon honor society distinction
Win one research scholarship

These goals will equip me with the necessary tools to be successfully both personally and professionally.

No comments: