Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Escalating

I awoke late because I did set my alarm clock. Also something happened to my tv around 1am.
Throughout this morning, I thought about being a mentor and what advice I would give to the Urban Studies students. A woman next to me had the Washington Center Internship bag which gave me a starting point. I, too, interned there and this experience gave me the assurance that I could become an economist.

Since I am 29 years old and most of these students are in their twenties, I can relate to them. Actually I feel that serving as a mentor for TWC would help me gain clarity on my life’s purpose. Motivating and encouraging people are important. Plus I like to distribute positive energy (as I have done earlier this morning when Uncle Tom posts something extremely mean and disheartening about blacks having a lower graduation rate.). His negative post pushes me to graduate from American University now because I refuse to be stereotyped! (For the record, another blogger came right after him and posted the "outperforming" quote, thereby, making me feel so much better. And, I need it because...

I have made and read two ignorant black women and this is not even noon! First, during my morning break, I gave this young woman directions to Strayer college. When we met again after my stroll, and upset that she had received dollar coins yelled at the hot dog man saying that “She had to work hard for her money and that she was not one of those people with the things around their heads.” Then whispered into my ear that “We were not white.” Oh Lord! Afterward, I read Essence’s interview with Monique who was extremely ignorant proclaiming that the word nigger has not meaning; and, when she got to heaven that is what she would call her ancestors. The cherry on top was that she proclaimed black people as too sensitive (Wait a minute! Monique calling us ignorant. She accepted the word fat so did that make her a fat, black nigger?). That’s ignorant! Why me?

The thing that got me was Monique’s accusing black people about being too sensitive. She made this remark about why we should stop worrying about who was calling us nigger (My problem was her ignorance!) and focus on improving our crumbling schools (With that kind of vocabulary she displayed, that was the reason why so many fell through the cracks). What a cop out!

It is stuff like this that cannot be ignored! Besides, I feel that this pervasive ignorance will not uplift anyone especially in the black community! Okay, I confess that at times I can get sensitive but this is ridiculous! This is not humorous!

Regardless, of their narrow-mindedness, I still push on, escalating to a higher station, and more moral clarity in life!

No comments: