Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Confessions

When I dropped mathematical methods for economists, I realized that unlike previous circumstances, one class did not determine my future. Here I was still an economist in contention for GS-11 status and more importantly, I already had enough education to sustain me for a very long time. My BA from Hiram College equipped me with skills to become an economist. During these past two months, I saw my former classmates, in Washington working as economists. Their presences were proof-positive that a Hiram education was more than sufficient to do this work! These reminders enabled me relinquish any guilt about my decision. Furthermore, when CSU emailed me about its DC Alumni meeting, all of a sudden I realized that this decision was minor because here was a bigger goal: serving as a mentor. Mentoring had always been my top goal especially as I enter my thirties and this event offered me an opportunity to do just that. I remembered being twenty years old, doing this for free! These experiences made me the person that I am today. Coincidentally, I worked one block from 50 Years is Enough but a world of difference: now only was I being paid but my perspective changed. When I return to Cleveland, Ohio, I thought that keeping in touch was unimportant but I wasted lots of time not doing so. What I would recommend was to join industry associations to begin fomenting your relationships now so that you’d always have a network.

Becoming a mentor in my twenties is impressive because (at for me) I haven’t done anything major. Yes, I have earned two degrees by age twenty-five, completed one year at American University, have relocated from Cleveland to Washington, DC, survived on bad credit and now have good credit and received a pay-for-performance bonus; but, I haven’t done anything really big. However, inspiring anyone of these students would make my day!

Speaking of going back, I remember the vast amount of progress that I have made since arriving here. It is only now that I acknowledge how bad I want to become an economist. I moved here with two checking accounts in ChexSystems and horrible credit. Every apartment complex denied my application forcing me to find shelter on Craigslist. Now one year later, I have two checking and savings accounts and good credit. That’s an amazing feat to turn everything around and become successful!

No comments: