Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Opportunity Journal Entry #11: Speaking the Honest Truth

While giving my seventh speech in the Toastmaster competent communication manual, I have learned that the advanced manuals only have five speeches instead of ten. Therefore, after completing my competent communication manual, I will start an advanced one. Since the 2007-2008 Toastmasters year ends on June 30, 2008, I know that I can deliver eight speeches in eight months! Developing my public speaking skills have helped me during my ZP-III promotion meeting with my immediate supervisor and his boss.
Though I do like the time lag between the GS and pay band schedules, at least he has given me some great feedback(Although I honestly feel that if another GS-11 opportunity comes along then I will take it because my personal timetable does not match my boss' boss.). ZP-III is a subject matter position so I must become well-versed in all of my components especially the laarge government programs. I will request information from these federal agencies to learn more about it. Also, after I return to my room, I will relearn SAS. He has also mentioned that I am doing well enough to receive another pay increase and also acknowledges that the pay band system is not as clear as the GS. However, I have pried a timetable out of him. He reviews ZP-III promotions after 20 months of service so I will excel on my county estimate cycle and prepare to become a subject matter expect so that I can petition for my ZP-III increase. Whether or not I am here at the BEA, becoming a subject matter expert is a helpful career move regardless of the position. I like research so this will be easy. Speaking of subjects I will research the Pell Grant for my research report. Honestly I like researching higher education because I place such a high value on it so I will take to my boss about how to go about it.
Clearing the air and knowing what is expected of me presents an abundance of opportunities to excel on the job and in the game of life.

No comments: