Thursday, September 07, 2006

Rising to the Challenge

Great news!: After going to the math lab I have a renewed sense of optimism that I will survive micro after all! This is huge because acing micro allows me to learn calculus on the fly while preparing for the CLEP exam. The College Level Examination Program (CLEP) test is an educational component of my financial empowerment plan. AU and NOVA accept the calculus test and by scoring 75 I will test out of my math requirement. Currently I am paying $1235 at NOVA because I am a out-of-state resident at Northern Virginia community college. Combining the $60 test fee and $75 administrative fee, my cumulative cost is $135, a lot cheaper than $1235 at NOVA or $3144 at AU. After pass the test, I might take statistics or calculus II to boost my mathematical aptitude; however, excelling the calculus test clears one more graduation hurdle and allows for free sailing into summer semester’s mathematical economics (maybe I could even take it during the spring semester if I ace the CLEP calculus test this December, thereby, accelerating my graduation date from summer to spring!

Having a tutor review my micro homework lifted a huge burden off of my shoulders! During last night’s session, I actually envisioned myself at age 30 with my MA in Economics degree from American University. The fact that many of my answers were right boosted my confidence immeasurably. Now I can relax and focus on learning the material, and preparing for the CLEP calculus exam. My goal is to take what I have learned from micro and apply it to the CLEP. I believe that learning calculus with taking precalculus accelerates my learning curve. If I can survive this, then I can thrive throughout the program.

Another bonus: DSST, another college equivalency test, offers statistics and the opportunity to test out of the course. That’s another cost savings of $1235. Of course, I emailed an administrator because my community college branch was not listed (Due diligence always!). However, there is a strong possibility that I could start next semester in calculus II! I am so happy about these developments!

More financial empowerment: Last week I opened a Upromise account to save for both my community college math classes and my Ph.D. studies which are two years away. Tough $50 is the minimum contribution, I will increase mine to $100 and use my raises to increase my allotments. Within two years, the minimum amount will be $2400 which is enough for books and research costs.

No comments: