Tuesday, September 12, 2006

The High Price of Education

Horoscope: Engage that cranium, but remember to check in with your heart on a regular basis. Otherwise, it can be all too easy to lose your sense of direction and forget what's really important. You need rationality and intuition.

After responding to Jay’s remark about Daniel Golden’s book entitled, The Price of Admissions, was anecdotal, I dissected my life and education. Though Jay graduate from Harvard, no slouch myself, I graduated Hiram College, James A. Garfield’s, the 20th US President alma mater; traveled to London and received my MBA on my 25th birthday and now at age 29 attending American University as a MA in Economics candidate. Not too many people under age 30 can admit to doing that. On top on these accomplishments, I work, in the same field as my degree, as an economist. I am privileged to be bestowed all of these opportunities because many people are not so blessed. This is exactly why Jay’s “anecdotal” comment bothers me so much.

It is imperative in the midst of the debate regarding college accessibility, that we care about how top-tier institutions allocate their resources. Today Harvard announced that it will eliminate its early admissions which benefits the upper class, but we need more discourse about a university , the oldest American college, in existence since 1636 and a nearly 100 million endowment needing “kickbacks”!

No comments: