Sunday, September 23, 2012

Donating Clothes and Considering Other Charity Alternatives


            Yesterday I donated 10 items (3 pairs of shoes and 7 articles of clothing) to Suited for Change.  Combining this with the 30 articles of clothing that I donated to CUSP Georgetown on behalf of DC Goodwill, 21 items (6 pairs of shoes and 15 articles of clothing) during the first Suited for Change and 2 Homecoming dresses to my friend who works at a DC high school, and I’ve donated 63 items; and, I am not done because I think that I have some more to give away to Suited for Change this Wednesday. Giving away all of these size 12 clothes and sizes 11 and 12 shoes will help so many women dress professionally for jobs.   I am thankful to be in a position to help others and given my size, I know that there aren’t many options for women my size. Size 12 is only one size below plus-size which start at size 14.
On the flip side, I question some of my purchases because they are impulses.  Immediately I start reconsidering every single purchase.  I have more selective criteria.  So far it has been working because I have only bought what I have come to the store.  Next time I’ll donate money to Suited for Change.  Heck, I might even donate my time to helping women revise their resumes and critique their interviewing sessions.  I possess the skills to make a difference so I just might look into it.  

No comments: