Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Graduate acceptance

American University has unofficially accepted me into its MA in Economics program! Tomorrow the chair will sign my paperwork and after my GRE test scores arrive, it will become official! Receiving acceptance into this school is a crucial part of my financial empowerment plan because securing a graduate economics degree would supply the skills set to command a higher salary during next year’s annual review. Also, acceptance represents the tenacity that I possess the follow through and complete whatever I finish. The best part is that my graduation date remains unchanged: August 2007.

Upon receiving this good news, I purchased the black newspaper where on the front page reported that city's public HBCU increased its undergraduate tuition from $75 to $95 per credit hour. That $20 hike placed many residents at a disadvantage. Many students lack the income to afford this. However, the paper also mentioned a rumor that the city government’s reduction in support was an indicator that the public HBCU location on choice NW real estate would move to SE. Let’s hope not.

On a brighter note, I emailed the financial aid counselor to obtain information that would alleviate paying. Come May 2007, I would officially become a resident; thereby, qualifying me for the LEAP program which provides financial support during the fall 2007 semester. During the summer, I would apply for the $500 institutional grant to ensure that my bill would zero. You cannot beat that!

No comments: