Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Moving On Up

Last night's NABA/NBMBAA Joint Meeting and today's divisional meeting enhanced my professional insight. The Joint Meeting was held at an accounting firm at Tysons Corner. As I walked to the building, I remembered my fear about being around upwardly mobile people. Yes, although I had a degree, I wasn't rich like those people. However, after paying off my creditors and being on my job for nine months, I realized that I belonged here. No question about that!

The Joint Meeting had a panel discussing career mobility issues. One of the panelist mentioned that helping others is the importance of networking and that he had received more help from people outside of this company than inside. Another one commented that the best time to change careers was when you were on top because that when you had everything going for you with the least amount of risk. I carried those sentiments with me to today's meeting.

The boss discussed several measures but the most importance to me were the federal approval of tuition reimbursement, training classes, the spring policy conference, and the personal project. Since I am still contemplating between the two schools, achieving residency, and weighing all relocation costs, it is heartening to know that the agency has the money! Also the spring policy conference offers an abundance of opportunities to hone my craft and network by joining economic organizations which spark my interest. This past weekend I updated my wardrobe by purchasing a matching suit and slack set that I wore at the Joint Meeting. In my closet I have two suits but will review my budget tonight to see if I can buy another one. For these two days, I will wear both of them to display an air of professionalism (I might even buy business cards!) Also the boss informed us that we should be working on our personal/developmental project(I guess mine is the SAS work!) and to submit it by the end of the month. Working on my project presents another opportunity to shine and receive my promotion. Even with budget tightness, I will still excel at my position!

With three months until my annual review, I see myself becoming the consummate professional by exceling on my job, networking and branching out to learn new things.

No comments: