Saturday, April 29, 2006

Transform. Transcend. Advance

Transform: 1) to change the form or appearance of 2) to change the condition, character, or function. 5) in physics, to change (one form of energy) into another.

During these past two weeks I have witnessed my own personal and professional transformations right before my eyes. I have gone from a woman with a dream to being on the precipice of actually living it. Throughout this process I have transformed negativity into positivity. This has been hard because it forces me to confront some of my issues such as pride, insecurity and impatience (well, I am still working on this!) The BEA interviews help me realize the benefits of not just acknowledging but proactively changing my behavior. If I hadn’t swallowed my pride and resided in the dorm that I would had never discovered my own personal strength. It took a lot because perception used to be everything to me. More importantly I had to confront my math fears head on because I came to the point where the unknown would not suck the life of my economist dreams. Thus far I scored 85, 92 and 80 on the first three exams; and, even though I entered today’s classroom a little unsure about my performance on the fourth test, I exited feeling confident in a weird way. Somehow it all connected: variation, logarithms and exponential functions. Outlining every section in chapters 9 and 10 paid dividends because I wanted to score over 100 badly. This was my opportunity and even though I was unable to attend one class session because of the interview, I refused to squander it!

My current job has aided in my transformation because it has allowed me to become more diligent, to develop and execute a financial empowerment plan and provide the transfer payment knowledge to secure the economist position. This job has also taught me patience and how to rebound from making mistakes. My financial empowerment plan has provided an economic cushion that afforded me the interview, hotel accommodations, and airfare to live out my dream.

Presently my graduate financial aid has been approved and I have received my room assignment. Monday I will call my financial aid counselor to apply my aid to my tuition and room and board to ensure that everything is down pat by this Friday. In addition, I have worked overtime to supplement my income regarding any travel expenses such as storage and shipping. Honestly, I cannot see taking anything but clothes in my suitcase.

Transcend: 1) to go beyond the limits of; exceed 2) to be superior to; surpass; excel.

My good nature and positive energy transcend boundaries and have opened many doors which I had thought to be closed. Early last week upon learning of my ineligibility for CSU summer housing, I received a pleasant surprise that my room and board have been assigned to me. And, it is the hall with a separate bathroom! :)

As a person I want to transcend the landscape and become more positive during the process. My educational advocacy and voting rights are deeply rooted in transcension and transformation. One of my professional goals is to save the $10,000 needed to endow a scholarship; and, this provides a generous salary to accomplish this feat. In addition, I am happy to start in May because after one year, I will receive a pay increase allowing me to contribute more to this endowment.

Advance: 1) to bring or move forward. 2) to suggest. 3) to further; promote 4) to cause to happen earlier. 5) to raise the rate of (v.i) 1) to go forward. 2) to improve, progress, develop. (n) moving forward.

Continuing my MA Economics in Washington, DC is a surefire way to advance my career because my employer partnership with this university to offer an econometrics program. Earning my degree here allows me to expand my network. Today I have contacted numerous organizations where I possess membership here in Cleveland and have located upcoming events and have requested information regarding their chapters. My advancement goals are the following: 1) to excel as an Economist by completing my one-year probationary period; 2) graduate May 2007 with honors and an MA in Economics degree; 3) to expand my professional network and to publish at least two papers by graduation to boost my professional profile and command a higher salary. I believe that I possess the character traits to not just survive but thrive and succeed in Washington, DC.

No comments: