Tuesday, January 09, 2007

From Bummer to Blessing

Yesterday's clobbering of my Ohio State Buckeyes at the hands (and feet) of the Florida Gators for the 2007 BCS Championship threw me in a funk! It was surreal. I knew that they had a 51 day layoff and Ted Ginn, Jr. sprang his ankle, but still OSU looked lethargic. However, the succeeding events throughout today have more than compensated for it.

Financial empowerment: Four months after getting out of ChexSystems, I opened an online savings account which gives me a 5.25% APY. My goal is to save $1000 to convert into the bank's 6-9 month CD which requires a $1000 minimum deposit. By this December, I will have saved the $3,000 to open my Vanguard account.

Tavis Smiley's commentary has struck a positive chord with me: We’re all gifted. And when Gods gives you a gift, He gives us a corresponding need to use our gift. This year discover your purpose. Walk in your vocation.

This year I will make a concerted effort to live out my purpose and zone out the noise, negativity and the clutter. Since education is important to me, I will become an advocate to ensure that everyone receive an affordable, high quality education. By age 40, I will saved the money to found my own book scholarship to benefit poor people. Lifting as I climb by helping others is an important character trait and I wish to work hard at it every day.

Furthermore, I have read many higher educational articles from NACAC to MSN Encarta about adult learners returning to college. Reading their testmonies has made me feel blessed that I have earned my graduate and undergraduate degrees by age twenty-five. However, I have learned a thing or two about exhibiting a positive mental attitude. One lady asserts that instead of thinking that when she completes her degree that she will be 52 years old the she will envision herself as a 52 year old with a degree. Even though sometimes graduate stuides can be tedious when I finish my graduate degree, it will all be worth it!

No comments: