Sunday, December 02, 2012

Completing Statistics 1


            I have submitted my final assignment for my online statistics 1 class this evening.  It is a big step in the right direction.  Having been on the job for 7+ months, I’ve been spinning my reels trying to discover what my job duties were.  Once they were finalized, I saved my money enrolling in this class. The new fiscal year dried up education funds but I had enough money from my new promotion to pay for it.  Taking this statistics course was the best decision I made that November because then I got hit with a whammy: they wanted me to perform quality engineer duties!  Hello!  My job title was statistician not quality engineer; however, reading the American Society for Quality and the quality engineer description aligned with what they wanted. 
I thanked God that I had the math and one operations management class that I took at Cleveland State to give me a background about this newfound territory else I’d be lost and gave up.  I learned about acceptance sampling and creating sample plans.  I downloaded some sample chapters and discovered that the online statistics school offered an acceptable sampling course next spring.  I wasn’t waiting for April when my boss wanted it now!  Therefore, I purchased the quality engineering statistics book and saved my money for statistics 2.  The school had a three-course beginning statistics schedule.  By the time I finish, it’ll be February allowing me to enroll in statistical process control.   When I finish SPC, I’ll take acceptance sampling.  I possess great timing because come New Year’s Day, I’ll be done with statistics 1 and 2.  I’m halfway done by the time the ball drops welcoming in 2013.  I will look back at all of this thinking what a journey.  I’ve started from 0 to this and still managed to be standing.

No comments: