Thursday, May 10, 2007

Opportunity Journal Entry #5: Business Travel

Even though I have a massive headache on the left side of my brain (which is not because of the sun which is a nice 75 degrees), I can spot an opportunity when I see one. The table has the Annual Meeting brochure and since I am a member, I could pay the Meeting member fee of $750 (since I am both a member and an Economist I could ask my employer to do this!). Also I have until July 31st to pay the fee leaving me with enough time to decide what I want to do. This is big because the business Annual Conference in Orlando is the same week meaning that I must make a choice between school (the first conference is held on Monday and Tuesday) and work. I can visit blackboard for micro's syllabus to make my decision but if I decide to go to the NABE Meeting I will have to tell the other teacher.

Networking in my field and the Pacific Coast provide a lot of opportunities to grow and learn plus I like to travel and since I will be off Friday, September 7th it will allow me time to wind down and enjoy the sights before the conference. Earlier this morning during the meeting I dreamt about attending Harvard for my business economics Ph.D. (this carried over from my morning break walk) and how it along with working as a consultant would boost my career profile. I could envision myself working on the sixth floor (with an Ivy League, I am a virtual shoo-in but attitude still determines altitude.). Attending either conference would help me build a strong professional portfolio because I have taken the initiative to meet people and development the acumen to be successful in every environment.

No comments: